I have over TWELVE years experience teaching students privately and in undergraduate music history courses. I earned my master's degree in historical musicology in 2012. In 2009, I graduated from Indiana University with a bachelor's degree in violin performance. During that time, I was concertmaster of the Indiana University South Bend Philharmonic and participated in several chamber and new music ensembles. I also have several entries in the second edition of the New Grove Dictionary of American Music.
My teaching philosophy is to promote active learning and listening by engaging students in exciting activities and repertoire. Through student engagement and investment we can promote high quality music and arts education in our schools and communities.
Music Teacher: 2003 - present
- Maintaining a studio of private violin and viola students beginning in 2003.
- Taught private violin lessons for the NIU Community School of the Arts, 2012 - 2014.
- Taught the “Survey of American Music” course as an adjunct faculty member at Kishwaukee College, 2012 - 2013.
- Taught “Introduction to Music: Music Appreciation, MUSC220” as a graduate teaching assistant for the NIU School of Music, 2010-2012. This course had up to 100 students each semester and I was responsible for creating all course materials, delivering all lectures, and handling all correspondence from students and grading their work.
Northern Illinois University, Office of External Programs, College of Visual and Performing Arts: August 2012 - August 2014.
- Responsible for assessing the qualifications, artistic capability, and needs of students, in order to assign the students to Community School of the Arts teachers that will best meet their needs.
- Provide support to the more than 450 registrants and their families, and to 65 teachers involved in this year-round program.
- In addition to the Community School of the Arts, manage many tasks for the five Summer in the Arts at Northern residential camps with over 300 registrants and other yearly high school events such as the Clarinet Cornucopia and Jazz Day.
Oxford University Press: 2010 - 2014
- Wrote and updated several articles for the multi-volume reference book: The New Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition.
Northern Illinois University Music Library: 2011 - 2012
- Handled reference and circulation duties for all patrons and guests to the library on a daily basis.
- Supervised and created the work schedule for the student workers.
- Collaborated with the Music Librarian on creating a student procedure guide and participated in training student workers.
- Wrote a detailed guide on the collection, student’s responsibilities and training materials for incoming employees.
Skills, Certifications and Awards
- Full tuition waiver and prestigious graduate teaching assistantship position, Northern Illinois University, 2010 - 2012
- Music performance scholarships, Indiana University, 2005 - 2009
- Honors program scholarships, Indiana University, 2005 - 2009
- Several academic merit grants, Indiana University, 2005 - 2009
- Youth Orchestra of the Year Awards, Midwest Young Artists Symphony Orchestra, 2001 - 2005
- Talent Scholarship, Northern Illinois University Community School of the Arts, 1998
Selected Performances and Festivals
- Solo and small ensemble performances for students in the Elkhart, IN school system, 2015
- Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra, several performances, 2010 - 2014
- Indiana University South Bend Philharmonic, concert master, 2006 - 2009
- Icicle Creek Chamber Music Festival, WA, 2006
- Interlochen Advanced String Quartet Institute, summer 2005 - 16 string players were selected from a large pool of international audition recordings to form 4 quartets coached by the Avalon and Pacifica String Quartets.
- Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition, 2005 - Played first violin on the Brahms String Quartet No. 1, fourth movement and the Shostakovich String Quartet No. 8, first and second movements
- Interlochen World Youth Symphony Orchestra, summer 2004. A select 10 violinists were chosen from the orchestra by audition to perform with violinist Sarah Chang in a concert featuring works by J. S. Bach.
- Midwest Young Artists Symphony Orchestra, several performances at venues such as: Orchestra Hall in Chicago, IL, Ravinia, Pick-Staiger Hall at Northwestern University, 2001 - 2005
- Apple Hill Center for Chamber Music, NH, 2001
Education and Private Teachers
- 2012, Northern Illinois University: Master’s of Music in Musicology, graduated with highest distinction.
- 2009, Indiana University South Bend: Bachelor’s of Music in Violin Performance, graduated with high distinction.
- Jacob Murphy, Euclid String Quartet, 2007 - 2009
- Marie Wang and Blaise Magniere (students of Shmuel Ashkenazi of the Vermeer String Quartet), 2005 - 2007
- Stefan Hersh, faculty member at Roosevelt and DePaul Universities, Chicago String Quartet member, 2002 - 2005
- Cyrus Forough (student of Josef Gingold), 1999 - 2002
- Marie Wang, Tara Louise-Montour, Ann Montzka- Smelser, 1998 - 1999
- Several entries in the The New Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition, 2014.
- Elliott Carter’s New Approach to the Ancient Practice of Temporal Modulation, UMI Digital Dissertations and Theses, 2012.
- The Florentine Camerata and the Beginnings of Opera, Indiana University South Bend Undergraduate Research Journal, 2008.